Tuesday, November 12, 2013

SNAP: DAY TWO

What a day! Not too many exciting things happened in regards to food. I ate the same old breakfast. It looked too small.... Drank boring old black coffee.


 I really started thinking today..... I NEED PEANUT BUTTER. I NEED FAT. I  made the executive decision that I would NOT drink coffee (that I never really bought anyways) and use the rest of this peanut butter in the fridge. I am doing pretty well on cost of food per day. Yesterday, I spent only about $2.50- $3.00 on food. YES.. I am way under on daily food costs anyways, and NEED the calories. So no more coffee. Peanut butter it is.


And let me just tell you.... this isn't peanut butter I'd eat. It's cheap, "natural" peanut butter .... that's the reason why it's still in the fridge and not gone already. I can't eat the 100% peanut butter because the ones we have at my house might be out of my budget if I was truly living on SNAP.


The cheap peanut butter....
You know, it was so hard for me to buy peanut butter on Sunday when I went to the grocery store for food this week. I picked up the peanut butter, looked at the label and put it right back on the shelf. NO WAY, was I going to put that peanut butter in my body. All the unnecessary ingredients (palm oil, sugars...) I prefer just PEANUTS and SALT. Just plain old peanut butter.... but then I came to this reality point today,  I just need to do what I need to do. Look at the rest of my meals... they are all HOMEMADE, WHOLE FOODS. So this one food item will just have to do.

The fancy pants peanut butter.  I believe this costs like $6-8. 
I guess if I were doing this for a month, I could budget for the fancy pants peanut butter. Maybe I would get savvy... maybe I haven't been paying attention to prices on peanut butter like I should be? Or maybe it'd still be cheaper to buy a big huge Skippy or Jif peanut butter ? Why can't food companies just respond to true needs of the people? 


Enough of my rant about peanut butter. I am just happy to have it back in my life! 

Other good news! I HAD A "FREE" SNACK after my workout today, which was AMAZING! And was WAY better than that slight hunger pain I felt yesterday. Pumpkin seeds!!!



LUNCH:
I enjoyed a tasty veggie burger with leftover squash and spinach. 



SNACK:

 1/2 of a cucumber and carrots for a mid-day snack. 



DINNER:

I went crazy! I made a sweet potato with 1/2 cup of lentils, 1 cup chopped spinach and added 1 tablespoon of peanut butter (I added a little water, turmeric, and ginger). I roasted some kale and 1/8 of my large cabbage. It was so delicious...  did I already say this, I AM SO HAPPY TO HAVE PEANUT BUTTER.



Total cost of this meal came out to be $0.965!!! 

I will have to do my math... but I think I am rolling in under $3 for total food cost today! 
I had to put my pumpkin soup in the freezer today and 1/4 of my large squash. They'll come in handy at the end of the week! 




My late night snack/ Breakfast for the morning...

BANANA PANCAKES!!! 
(original recipe from: HERE)

3/4 cup oats (blend to make into flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup plant milk 
1 banana lightly cooked (helps release the natural sugars)

Blend the oat flour with the baking soda and the plant milk. Then blend in the banana. Pour the dough on a lightly oiled skillet and cook on medium heat until golden brown. FLIP to the other side until golden brown... and then enjoy! :)

Costs for the recipe= $0.39 add a tbsp of peanut butter for a grand total of $0.54!




I am thinking I will add a little peanut butter to these in the morning! 


P.s. You can even lick the batter! No raw eggs! 



No comments:

Post a Comment