Sunday, November 17, 2013

SNAP: Day Six

Well, folks. Saturday became a leftover kind of day, but I am perfectly okay with leftovers (means less cooking/ cleaning). I enjoyed leftover sweet potato oat casserole, leftover soup and veggie burgers, an apple, carrots, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin pie "for yo", air-popped popcorn.. starting to sound familiar!

 This week I  have learned that lentils and oatmeal are two versatile foods!

I did have a little fun at dinner tonight and decided to try something fancy. My family was making Oh She Glow's "beanballs" with squash. So I decided I would do my own version with the resources I had available to me. 

First of all, I did a horrible job at making "zucchini noodles." All these other bloggers make them look so beautiful. I guess I will have to practice. 


Now for my version of the meatballs... 


Lentil-oat balls 
1 cup dry oats
1 cup cooked lentils
1/4- 1/2 cup chopped kale
italian seasonings (basil, oregano, fennel seeds, parsley, garlic)
*add crushed red pepper if you like them hot. 

Blend all the ingredients together (accept the chopped kale). Once smooth, mix in the kale. Roll the bean batter into balls (I made about 12). Put on a skillet and cook on the stove over medium heat. Be sure to move them around to preventing burning. 

This whole recipe cost about $0.41 !!! 




I am sure this meatless meatballs would taste great on a sandwich, in a wrap, with some pasta, mixed with quinoa.... versatile possibilities!

Total food cost for the day came at about $3.50! 

It's kind of a bittersweet feeling knowing my SNAP Challenge experience is almost over! I have greatly enjoyed many of these new recipes! 

Stay tuned! I will be doing a recap blog soon to sum up my experiences and lessons learned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment