Friday, November 15, 2013

SNAP Day 4

Half way through my SNAP week! I am having fun making new recipes and trying new things! I seriously think I will keep some of these recipes on my daily menu when I am done with the SNAP challenge. The veggie burgers are amazing, the pumpkin ice cream is fantastic, the banana pancakes are delicious, the sweet potato lentils with peanut butter sauce is divine. A few of the other recipes (the tomato soup and the pumpkin soup) were items already on my list. 

I am starting to miss some of my staple food items. Like chia seeds, almonds, miso.....BUT I am learning an incredible amount about being SAVVY. 

Today, meals were repeated. Breakfast was peanut butter banana pancakes, snacks were pumpkin seeds and carrots, and leftover tomato soup for lunch. 

Dinner was fantastic! 
 It ONLY took me like 15 minutes to make! It helps if you precook the lentils... I always batch cook and then store some in the fridge for about 2-3 days. I microwaved the potato to speed it up. Time was crunched for me this evening, so gotta do what you gotta do. 

Ingredients:

1/2 cup dry lentils (or about 3/4-1 cup cooked)
1 apple chopped
1 sweet potato chopped 
1/2- 1 cup chopped kale
1/2 broccoli 
cinnamon to taste 

If you don't pre cook the lentils and potato, then prepare those. In a pan lightly sauté the broccoli, add the apples, sweet potatoes, kale, and lentils. Add cinnamon to taste. 

Total for the meal cost me about $1.19

**I also added a little peanut butter to the side to get some fat! It tasted pretty good with the dish. Try it! 



 This had to be one of my favorite nights.... a nice big bowl of air-popped popcorn! I spritzed on olive oil and add a pinch of salt. IT IS SO MUCH CHEAPER TO MAKE YOUR OWN POPCORN (and healthier... ). The organic popcorn seeds cost me about $0.72 and it will last me for 2-3 days! This bowl of popcorn cost about $0.25-$0.30!!! For real! 





Total food costs was about $3.54 for the day! Helps to have those "free" snacks... pumpkin seeds!  

1 comment:

  1. It's fun watching your meals. Do you think you could do it for a month? A year? It must be so hard for people who rely on SNAP long term. The amount of planning and worrying must be overwhelming. What do they do for birthdays and Christmas? There is not much $ to spare.

    ReplyDelete