Wednesday, September 5, 2012

BE A LIFE LONG LEARNER


I found this in my 8th grade graduation book. It's been about ten years since I wrote it. Pretty evident that I couldn't spell back then.. hence the "collage" instead of "college"... but I am just in awe that  the "plans" and the "dreams" I had at 13 years old are passions and dreams being played out in my life today. I am not in school to be a doctor (yet) nor am I engaged (not banking on it anytime soon), but  I am a registered dietitian (with plans to obtain my Ph.D  in public health nutrition), and I am a volunteer missionary in a third world country.  These plans and dreams for impacting the world got lost during my high school years when I felt "worthless".. "unimportant" .. and "useless" to the world. At the time, I was facing a battle of depression and an eating disorder. I was ready to give-up on life..... and boy am I thankful that I didn't. I am so thankful for the people that didn't stop believing in me and supporting me through the thick and thin. They gave me HOPE. I am so thankful for the faith that has gotten me through the twists and turns on the journey.. FAITH that there is PURPOSE in my suffering and that there is LIGHT in the DARKNESS. As odd as it sounds, I am THANKFUL for this time of suffering. It has allowed me to dig DEEPER into MYSELF so that I am be now able to GET OUT OF MYSELF... to BUILD CHARACTER... to LEARN... to ALWAYS SEE LIGHT IN THE MIST OF DARKNESS. We all will SUFFER (or feel intense negative feelings..sadness...disappointment) at some point in our life... it's inevitable. You have the POWER, however, to determine how to use this suffering/sadness/ discouragement... and how to overcome it. LEARN, LEARN, LEARN... never stop LEARNING. Ask Questions. Be critical. ASK FOR HELP. Admit to your weaknesses.... STAY Positive. BE A LEARNER. There is something to learn from every experience... positive or negative... and using that experience to GROW.. GROW into a PERSON with GREAT CHARACTER and ESTEEM. 

Follow the passion on your heart. If you feel like giving-up on life, reconsider the POSITIVE impact you CAN have on the world...helping CREATE A MORE JUST WORLD. You have the potential to do GOOD--to change LIVES in a POSITIVE way. Look at the gifts and talents you HAVE. Become an ADVOCATE for things that you're PASSIONATE about. DO your research. Look at the IMPACT (negative and positive impact) your behaviors, your thoughts, your choices have on YOU and on the REST of the WORLD.... TODAY, TOMORROW, TEN YEARS FROM NOW. Learn about MORALS, about justice, about your responsibilities... be ETHICAL in all that you DO.  Speak out for those who are on the MARGINS of SOCIETY... WHO HAVE NO ONE, HAVE NO VOICE IN SOCIETY. BE THEIR ADVOCATE.  Don't lose HOPE in YOURSELF and in YOUR DREAMS... DONT LOSE HOPE IN THE GOODNESS OF HUMANITY. AND ALWAYS BE APPRECIATIVE OF WHAT YOU DO HAVE. 

Doors will close, people will fail you, YOU MAY EVEN FAIL YOURSELF, and CIRCUMSTANCE can be an obstacle. STAY POSITIVE. Consider them all LESSONS to LEARN from and OPPORTUNITIES to BUILD CHARACTER and DEVELOP SKILLS. Surround yourself with supportive people (they are out there!!! If you have NO ONE in your life-- find social services, find an organization to volunteer with, seek OPPORTUNITIES to build relationship). AND SHARE YOUR DREAMS... YOUR VISIONS with others. Your ATTITUDE and PERSPECTIVE CAN and WILL do WONDERS for you... and THE WORLD. 

BE A LIFE LONGER LEARNER. SEEK OPPORTUNITIES TO GROW, TO LEARN, AND TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE.  AND NEVER FORGET-- LIFE IS ABOUT RELATIONSHIPS. ALWAYS SEEK TO TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED. 

1 comment: