How did it go!? Well, pretty darn good! I keep thinking about my meals though. It's like this constant counting and planning.. and worrying. Will my food go bad? will I be hungry later and not have enough? After dinner tonight, I decided that I might actually have more food than I thought... I need to sit down and plan things out so I can STOP stressing and carry-on with my life. Writing a menu will help ease my mind about planning for the week.
Breakfast:
The morning started out with cinnamon banana oatmeal and a small side of berries. Seriously, don't buy the $1 berries unless you have to.. or if they are from the Farmer's Market. These were horribly sour. I threw mine in the freezer and plan to blend them up at the end of the week.
I worked out before my class today, and had to contemplate if I wanted to eat my apple as a post workout snack. I opted not to. I decided to wait... I knew I was going to be hungry again come 2-3 pm. My glycogen stores will just not be prime today. Maybe tomorrow I will have to eat breakfast after I work out instead of before?
Lunch:
Pumpkin soup: (Click me for recipe)! It was so tasty... except the microwave was broken at school, so I ate it cold. None-the-less, it was filling and held me over for the next 3 hours.
![]() |
| Thank you to my friends in Haiti for teaching me to make this!!! |
![]() |
SNACK:
Just what I needed.... Something naturally sweet and chrunchy! Hmmm mmm
Dinner:
Well, I came home and was hungry. So I ate a small bowl of pumpkin soup.... (that soup will be never ending. I might have to freeze it by Wednesday). And I got to work on my master piece of a dinner.
I found the recipe first at the No Meat Athlete. And then followed his link to the burger recipe here: Lentil Burgers.
What did I do to modify my burgers?
1 cup lentils (40 cents)
1 1/2 cups oats (24 cents)
2 carrots (16 cents)
1 cup or so of spinach/ kale (25 cents)
A dash of garlic and basil (???)
....and then followed the instructions on the original recipe.
I contemplated topping them off with a little tomato paste, but decided to save that for the end of the week. I have some other creations up my sleeve!
Total cost of one burger?
Hmm its about 15 cents.
THE DOLLAR MENU HAS NOTHING ON ME!
Seriously, sometimes I think I eat like a queen.
![]() |
I served my lentil burger on a bed of spinach with some roasted garlic squash and broccoli on the side. Nom Nom NOm..
And did I mention, I have six of these left in my possession! Looks like I can eat a vegg burger every single day of my SNAP challenge if I really want to! Maybe I will have to have friends over for dinner on Sunday to eat veggie burgers to celebrate the end of a successful week.....

Life is NOT boring eating plant-based on a budget!
Oh and about these little buggers....
Yeah, like I always say: SAVE THOSE SEEDS. I roasted up the seeds from my squash this evening, and will be using them for some snacks throughout the week. Seriously, squash has to be the world's perfect food; starchy vegetable rich in vitamin C, beta carotene .. (that's just to name a few)... and packed with a center of proteins and fat (THE SEEDS).
So how much money did I spend on food today?
That's to be continued... time to get some actual homework done!







Yay, I love homemade bean burgers! I haven't made them using lentils before - I'll have to try this recipe! My #1 favorite bean burger recipe is Happy Herbivore's "quick burgers," recipe here: http://happyherbivore.com/2011/08/easy-black-bean-burger/
ReplyDeleteAlso, that water bottle refill machine is AWESOME! The only time I've seen one in real life is at a visitor center at Mount Rainier National Park. Those need to be installed EVERYWHERE! I always have a Nalgene bottle with me at all times, tap water is my free hydrating friend!
Great update :)
SudsyMaggie
You are too sweet! Thanks for the post lady!
DeleteThe lentils are AWESOME with the veggie burgers! (it smelt like meatballs... so maybe meat-eaters will like them?). I will have to check-out those veggie burgers you posted!
YES! I couldn't agree more. We need more public spaces to offer free water dispensers!! Maybe that should be a public health initiative.... :)