Sunday, December 1, 2013

SNAP Challenge Response

A few weeks ago this comment was left on my blog.... it's about time I respond!

AnonymousNovember 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM
It's fun watching your meals. Do you think you could do it for a month? A year? It must be so hard for people who rely on SNAP long term. The amount of planning and worrying must be overwhelming. What do they do for birthdays and Christmas? There is not much $ to spare.

My Response: 
THANK YOU for following! I think it would be interesting to try this for a month. I actually think it might be easier for a month since I would have a bit more financial resources to purchase a variety of staple foods during the first week of the challenge. I had a lot of staple foods leftover at the end of my challenge (oatmeal, a few soups, a few veggie burgers). I spent under $28 for the week (that was my allowance). It was a bit overwhelming the first few days... not knowing if there would be enough food, but by the time I hit day three... I worried less. It was difficult NOT being able to go out to eat with friends, but going out after the challenge put things into perspective. When you spend a whole week eating $25 worth of food and then you get a bill from one meal at $12-15... that's a reality check. As far as holiday's go, I am sure there would be some fairly inexpensive meals to prepare. Potatoes are cheap, rice is inexpensive, and my oatmeal lentil veggie burgers are rather tasty! The folks at Plant-based on a Budget are proving to the world that eating healthy on a budget is possible.... but it's all about perspectives and people's situations. 

.... Stay tuned! Next blog is on my recap from my experience. I know, it's a little late. BETTER LATE THAN NEVER! 

No comments:

Post a Comment